Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Teacher Carried a Shotgun

My teacher for grades one through eight brought a “shotgun” to school every day. It contained a mysterious white powder and rested on her big, wooden desk at the ready. She appeared as a terrifying specter in my young life: demanding, critical, and sometimes physically abusive. In that one-room schoolhouse in the idyllic Canadian countryside, she towered. She was tough and unquestionably in control.

Whether it was sweeping the hardwood floors, printing, coloring in the lines, cleaning the fish tank, singing in the choir, nothing was ever good enough. She required perfection. I was not, however, a perfectionist and so I lived in terror of her criticism. I was one to find art in the process more than the outcome, and so my insecurities under her tutelage grew. I always felt inferior.

My supportive parents did much to soften the psychological blows on my sensitive nature, but one day some of that insecurity melted at school when Mrs. _______ announced to the whole class that I had written a wonderful spring poem. She had contacted the newspaper, and they were going to publish it; which in fact, they did. I can’t say all was completely rosy after that, but I realized that my gift with words was valuable, something worthy of even the tyrant’s praise. It was a turning point in my young life.

There were other defining moments. When I got to high school, I was intimidated by the much larger school. Walking the lunchtime gauntlet, being sized up by peers, was terrifying. My old insecurities and natural shyness kept me from really stepping out much and expressing myself creatively. I had a small group I was comfortable with, but taking risks was scary business. Then, I learned to play guitar. Suddenly, my songwriting was off and running, and you can sound really good with only a few chords. Best of all, I had something to do with my hands, and I had this big chunk of wood sitting on my lap to hide behind. And piano, even bigger! I re-created myself in the image of Lilly the Folksinger / Rock ‘n Roller. I was able to express myself, my fears, my faith, my humor, in ways that I was too inhibited to do before. The more praise I received, the more my confidence grew. The more my confidence grew, the more opportunities opened up for me. Being able to share what I had written, that part of my vulnerable self, gave me a sense of power, a sense of significance. And when others were moved, encouraged, or just simply grooved to my tunes, my old fears of inadequacy and inferiority started taking a back seat.

It makes me realize how important affirmation is. It’s easy to be critical, and I have to watch that in myself because I have a tendency to see flaws first. I look for things to fix. But my desire to “help” must be tempered with the awareness that, just like me, a fragile self is only waiting for the right encouragement to blossom.

By the way, Mrs. _______ really did love me and only wanted what was best for me as her student. I saw that later . . . much later! She had some pretty weird ways of showing it, but she was proud of me and was spurring me on to do well. And the shotgun? I realize now that what she called her “shotgun” was really an inhaler. She was asthmatic. So the big, bad tyrant had weaknesses after all.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful story! Your title is certainly eye catching, and you describe everything so well, that it's not hard to imagine being there. I love how you discovered your gift for words, and then later, music. It shows what an interesting person you are.

    The way you describe your insecurities is something that I believe many of us can relate to. Sharing your music is a great way of ridding yourself of insecurities, although I still haven't found enough trust in myself to start writing, yet. I am very familiar that feeling of hiding behind an instrument, though it's one of my favorite feelings in the world!

    The way you describe your process of exploring your musical side as "re-creating" is interesting. I never thought of it that way. To me, showing my musical side was always more of "revealing" than "re-creating", though I do think that "re-creating" is a more accurate way to describe it.

    The way you end it is very good. You show that your tyrannical teacher was still human, with weaknesses and flaws, but she still did her best to push you to your full potential. Just in an... odd way. They always say that hindsight is 20/20, and this is an interesting case of it! Thank you for sharing this with us.

    -Alley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you found the power of words at a young age too. That is so awesome! Hmm... I don't really know how to ask this question but here it goes. When you write, do you feel something come over you, like a compulsion or warmth? It's aweird but good feeling, I can;t describe it any better. I have asked a couple of people this and they say they don't.

    It's awesome that you reinvented yourself as a musician, a writer and as a human being. You exemplify what the power of music can do to someone. It really can help build you up. I wish more shy people would find something to help brak them out of their book like you managed to do. What I have noticed is that when you are too shy, you miss out on certain experiences that could change your life or add a richness to it. A life without risks is no life at all and I am glad that music helped you overcome it.

    About your teacher... Everyone is human. It can be difficult to see the good in someone, it is still there. She did sound like a pain the @$$ though, I am glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of my work is just that--work. But as far as something coming over me :-) there are times when the inspiration hits and I need to get the hook, the line, the concept, the whole thing down quickly or else it starts to fade. Some of my best songs, for example, came to me in an hour or less.

    As far as my teacher goes: Today she would be arrested. I was hit and had my ears pulled. Two of my classmates got thrown down the stairs. She even chased one of our student teachers through the field with an axe. Bizarre, I know. But that said, her perfectionism and her drive to push us as far as we could go produced better educated students. Some probably needed therapy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing story! I am blown away, by your ability to capture the readers attention with a title that is very unique, and to some degree, true. Bravo. I must say that you do certainly have a way with words.

    I think it's great that you found your place in the world through her strictness. I understand what it's like to be harassed by a perfectionist, who in my case, would have to be my father. To this day I have to watch what I'm doing or I risk being smacked upside the head. But again I understand that the perfectionists terrorize us because they know that we can do better. I have come to appreciate my past smacks, (not the moment I get them, but much later) because without them I don't think I'd be as smart as I am now.

    I also want to mention that writers, poets, and songwriters are essentially the same people. In my opinion at least, because they all tell a story, that captures the listeners/readers attention, but I must give some extra credit to the poets and songwriters. I have never been able to write a poem, because I simply can never come up with a rhyme. I know there is free verse but I really enjoy poetry that rhymes. And when it comes to songwriting I don't know how you guys do it. Lyrics plus the beat? You guys are amazing.

    -Levi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but if we were all so amazing, we'd be rich. :-)

    ReplyDelete