Thursday, October 21, 2010



All the News That’s Fit to Print, Broadcast, Televise, Stream!


I remember vividly the day President Kennedy got shot.  In addition to farming, my dad was a sawyer.  I was riding with him in the big dump truck to deliver a load of wood slabs to a farmer down the road and across the river.  We heard the news on the radio, and a charge of electricity went through me.  Even though Canadian, we were very familiar with American politics and had a lot of love and respect for Kennedy.  It was a sad day.
I remember in January 1986 watching on cable television the Challenger liftoff with a civilian teacher on board.  The flight controllers narrated the ascent with monotone professionalism.  Flights to outer space had become almost routine—and then the explosion, followed by a classic understatement:  There has been obviously a major malfunction.  I watched the explosion as it was replayed over and over and over again, glued to my TV, weeping with much of the country.
In the early 90s, shortly after we had begun homeschooling, we decided to cancel cable so as to be more intentional about our television viewing.  I primarily got my news from the newspaper and NPR radio.  At times, the programming was so far left on NPR as to be clinging to the left edge with bloody fingernails; and when I got mad enough, I would forsake them for KNX 1070 news radio.  But when terrorists struck the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and attempted to strike the White House, once again I was glued to NPR for updated coverage and analysis.  By then we also had computer, so the images and live footage of bodies jumping hand in hand and ghostly faces, covered with ash, images of massive destruction and a smoke-filled New York skyline were imprinted on my brain as I sat hour after hour before the screen, searching for updates.  
Today, I scan the newspaper for stories or opinions I want to read.  I pick and choose what interests me, both national and local.  The only time I touch the sports section is if my kids are there or if they’ve buried the comics inside.  When in the car, I listen to KNX news radio or KRLA talk radio.  In order to not be unduly indoctrinated one way or the other, I also listen to KCRW / NPR radio in the car and on my kitchen radio.  I especially like debate format shows, like Left, Right, and Center that pit the left against the right. Though the moderator is more left than center, overall both sides can present their views and pick apart the weaknesses in the others’ position.  The show actually should be titled Left, Really Left, Right, and Way Out There! 
And again, the Internet has become a wealth of sources to mine, some good, some bad.  I typically pick well-known sources, like Fox, CBS, and Yahoo, and shy away from the personal websites where everyone has an opinion.  In doing a search to remind myself of the date of the Challenger disaster, I found a home video that shows beyond a shadow of a doubt an alien spaceship right beside the contrail and debris.  I think I missed that first time round. 
In all venues, there is bound to be some hype.  And as long as there are “people” reading and analyzing the news stories, there will be bias and misinformation.  The trick then is to not shut off your brain.  When I research a product I want to buy, I don’t believe everything I’m told.  Mmm:   Amway, Jafra, Mary Kay, Macys, Penneys, Avon, store brand.  Every product developer and seller is in the business of getting me to buy their product, and they will say and present in such a way that a sale is the bottom line.  It’s not bad—I just know that; so I use discernment in finding the right product for me at the price I want to pay.  Similarly, when shopping for news sources, I seek to discern whether what I am hearing and / or seeing is reliable and what bias, worldview, or ulterior motive might be mixed in with the bare facts.  Getting information and insight from various sources is a better way to ensure that I am not being propagandized. 
I prefer the news be boring, giving me the option as to whether I want to tune in or not.  But knowing that our world is complex—sometimes violent and sometimes inspiring, sometimes horrid and sometimes fabulous—those life-changing moments will come when I will want to know more.  As it stands now, I have a plethora of venues to choose from. 

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about those moments that you hear or see something on the news and it’s a moment you will never forget. In addition to the ones that you mention in your blog, I remember driving home from work with my kids in the back seat and hearing that the Gulf War had started. My husband was in the military and we had a sister and brother-in-law that were both deployed at that time so I clearly remember the impact that announcement had on me.

    When you hear or see something like that on the news, we become glued to the news sources for any bit of information. As you stated, there will always be bias and misinformation on any news source but some are more reputable than others. Being able to discern and check other sources is the only way to determine if what is being reported is somewhere near the truth.

    By the way, I love your tree pictures! I have had the privilege of seeing the Giant Sequoias and the Redwoods in northern California and they are truly breathtaking. The size and age of these trees is just awesome. If anyone out there has never experienced seeing these trees, I highly encourage you to witness their majesty….it helps to put life into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In August we went to Mammoth, Tahoe, Crater Lake, and the Columbia River Gorge, then on up to Seattle. That's where most of the tree and water pictures are from. Heading out this week for Sequoias and Tahoe again! Pics to follow. And happy anniversary to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember so many of the same events as you, because I'm too young, but I do remember 9/11. I remember waking up to my mom screaming. My brother and I ran to her room, and we didn't understand what was happening (I was only 8). I remember her telling us that history books would be rewritten because of this. Sure enough, 9/11 has been in all of my history books since.

    It sounds like you try and balance the stations you watch, despite their way left and way right tendencies. At least you get both sides of the issue if you watch both. But, like Teri said,when disaster strikes, you cling to any shred of information. Biased or unbiased, if it tells you ANYTHING, you'll pay attention to it.

    My family used to watch the news whenever there was a big train wreck in the LA area, because my dad worked Metrolink Police, so we would watch to see if we could see him on TV. After that we could breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that he hadn't been on the train that wrecked. I grew up doing this. I was always thankful for whatever station happened to get to the scene first, whether or not I ever watched them otherwise. They would provide me with information when I needed it, and when I didn't need it, well, I would watch another station.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    Scary about the train wreck fears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. also stay away from personal websites because they aren’t legit. Although, if these personal websites post the link from a major news source that is fine.
    I agree with researching products. I will comb over several websites to find information about something I want to buy just to make sure that I really want that product. The Internet has saved me from making many retail mistakes. It is the perfect resource and saves a lot of time and headaches for many shoppers. The television has the ability to over-hype items and make them look AMAZING. Adverts don’t help either since they have been edited to death and therefore lie. I remember when I was looking for birthday gifts for my dad via the Internet. I was looking at camping and survival stuff on this website called Think Geek. I found this awesome fire started tool invented by the Swedish military that works while wet. Think Geek, although I believe their reviews, may try to over hype an item, so I went to Amazon to see if I could get more reviews (and a better price). Sure enough, I was able to find a cheaper price for this item and near perfect reviews. I thank the Internet for this.

    ReplyDelete