Monday, November 29, 2010

Writing Done? Rest in Peace!

What I learned from writing the RP: Now RP, is that Retinitis Pigmentosa? No, Ross Perot? How about rest in peace? Maybe Reformed Presbyterian? No, rite proper? Ah, yeah, research paper. After this class, I have become acronym challenged. C’est si terrible, n’est-ce pas?

Okay, once upon a time . . . and that’s not really as much of a stretch as it sounds because my writing approach is very emotional and very narrative. That works great for stories, personal essays, and the like, but it is a struggle at times to be so academically minded that I sacrifice the narrative for the organizational structure required for a research paper.

Once my thesis statement is reined in from the many ideas pinging in my brain and once I have the roadmap outlined, the challenge is to have every paragraph have its own proper topic sentence. Sometimes I just fly through and come back later to write it, but other times I like the sound of the words as they are and it seems like a betrayal to add a transition and a topic sentence. So dramatic! But with every paper I write, I become more intentional about doing the fundamental things that make for solid academic writing. And I need that push. If I didn’t have a pressing assignment, chances are I would not wake up one morning with a burning urge to write a synthesis essay. I would assume I just needed coffee!

One thing that has been interesting and underscores the creeping realization in me (Read: sneaking up on me in army boots.) is to trust myself. I must own my own work. There are many different opinions and many different conventions; and though I don’t want to relax in ignorance and bad habits, and I want to remain always teachable, I must do the work for me alone. If I do it just for the prof or the grade; if I Frankfurt my way through (alternative for BS!), I will not have gained as much from the learning experience and I will be less satisfied with myself. If I totally rely on peers or the Smarthinking people and make changes just for them, I will not have progressed as far as when I internalize the rules and take responsibility for every aspect of my writing and editing.

Speaking of Smarthinking: Though they offer some very good advice, they don’t always get it right. On my synthesis essay, I had already passed my thesis by Jennifer. The ST guy hated it and suggested I announce it like this: “In this paper, I will examine . . .” That’s exactly the kind of thing I have been avoiding. In my research paper, the lady did not like my use of semicolons. Semicolons link two related independent clauses, but there is an exception when there is already punctuation in one or both of the clauses. For clarity’s sake, this allows for a semicolon before the coordinating conjunction. So do I change because they say so? No, my point is we must own our work and do what is necessary to write and re-write and be the best we can be (sounds like the Marine Corps) for ourselves. So may we all continue to grow in confidence and skill!

(By the way, speaking of Marine Corps: Has anyone else noticed the misspelling of Corps on the green road sign on the 14 just south of Lancaster. Bless those Cal Trans guys! :-D)

2 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate Lilly that Smarthinking has not worked as well for you as it has for me. I cannot believe that tutor suggested that you should start your thesis with that opening. I was told by the Smarthinking tutors that that was frowned upon unless writing a scientific paper. I try to look at what they say and look at the most obvious corrections. I often will ignore a comment here or there on Smarthinking and keep material that I had already written. Sometimes there will be a comment that is based on their personal preference. That is when owning one’s work comes in. There is a time for making beneficial changes or losing one’s literary voice. I try to stay mindful of that when someone critiques my paper because I am the one who is writing the paper. haha
    To be honest, Smarthinking is my new favorite peer review tool because they are more honest about how they view my papers than, say, my friends. I hate it when people say everything is good and that I should not change a thing. Bleh! Have a good weekend and keep up the good blog posts, Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone noticed because they added the s to Corp that makes it Marine Corps, albeit, slightly crooked.

    ReplyDelete