Friday, September 27, 2013

370 - Copy
It was a dark path, overgrown and weedy, and it stretched away to the distance as far as forever.
I said, “I trust You, Lord. Trust that when you said, ‘Walk’ You meant this path, this way.”

But even as I trusted, I saw helpers to the side, slightly hidden but still within reach. Youth reached out a hand of encouragement; and across the way, Vitality showed a hint of a smile. Time beckoned me on, and I was able to relax a little.

It was comforting that my trust had help—that I had resource and that I was not alone, not really. I mean, “I trust you, Lord, but I’m only human.”

I walked for miles, for years, comforted by my friends. They were my safety net when the going got arduous.

When my energy failed, Vitality gave me rest.

When responsibilities mounted and rained down on me in an unending stream, Youth gave me the will and the strength to fight on.

When unforeseen setbacks tripped me up and made me desperate for the progress lost, Time gave me years. And I trusted on.

I walked for miles, for years, and got comfortable in my buoyed trust.

Until today.

The road is narrower now. Though there is a glimmer way off in the distance, there is much ground to cover yet. And they are gone.

Where are the comforting friends that cheered me on from the sidelines, always with the assurance that trust has a buffer?

The trust is narrower now, and I find I must dig in with both hands and bloody heart. There is no Youth, no Vitality, and there is no Time. Only trust in You.

If I am to finish this course, faith intact, trust in You must be enough.

Was it enough before and I didn’t know it?

Is this stripping, this ripping, a surer place to be when the path still is dark and the way still so treacherous?

I will trust because it is all I have left, and perhaps this was the place I should have been all along.

260 - Copy
 

About apronheadlilly

wife and mother, musician, composer / poet, teacher, and observer of the world, flawed Christ-follower
This entry was posted in Christian, Faith, Photography, Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Edit

I would love to hear from you!

9 comments:

  1. Lilly you have such a gift! This is beautiful and I know what you mean. As we get older the things that seemed a given....now are changed. But God never changes and he loves us more than we could imagine. I love the story of the prodigal son where the Father runs down the road to meet him. I think passing will be like that, I hope so anyway. I've loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!

    I am in the 'classroom' of what you're speaking of. I love and appreciate the SOVEREIGNTY of GOD. There are times it is necessary for the 'silence' of GOD in order to test what is really in the heart of the believer. All that HE does is for good and not for evil; for HE desires to take us to where the 'fullness' of HIM indwells us!

    AWESOME WORK, LILLY!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM SOOOO SORRY!!! I don't have a computer and I have NO CLUE WHY or HOW my phone duplicates messages.

    PLEASE FORGIVE....IT'S VERY EMBARRASSING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was praying for your husband and you...and thoughts of you and your shingles. I hope you don't suffer great pain and that you are healed of this illness very soon!

    I don't have another avenue to send a greeting or thoughts of you, so I used the only source I have....hope that's o.k. Prayerfully and bcuz I care, patsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was praying for your husband and you...and thoughts of you and your shingles. I hope you don't suffer great pain and that you are healed of this illness very soon!

    I don't have another avenue to send a greeting or thoughts of you, so I used the only source I have....hope that's o.k. Prayerfully and bcuz I care, patsy

    ReplyDelete