Thursday, December 2, 2010

Summing Up

Okay, I’m already going through withdrawals.  No text to read, no novels to annotate, no research paper to slave over.  No fun blog to create that no one in the world will ever see now that it will be off the class to-do list.  (By the way, if a person tells a joke in a forest and there’s no one there to hear it, is it still funny?) 
Whatever shall I do with my time?  And to top it off, when I went on MyAVC  to register, there are none of the English classes that I want or need on-line for the spring semester.  There was so much blank space on the English page that came up, I was ready to try math!  (No, not that desperate yet.)  Besides that, with a very grim look at our finances and with pay cuts at work, we decided we couldn’t really afford to continue my schooling right now.  But I’m kind of wondering how much more therapy will cost after these hits to my heart and psyche. 
That said:  I have really enjoyed the class.  It’s been a lot of reading and writing, but I love to be challenged; so making the time has been worth it, and the occasional whines were only attempts at having my husband appreciate all my efforts. 
Maybe with no classes next term I will sit down and read all the books I bought as a result of this class.  I got a book of Nabokov short stories (not ready for Lolita yet), The Great Gatsby, which I used for my paper, Nafisi’s memoir called Things I’ve Been Silent About, Daisy Miller and Washington Square by James, and a book of short stories that includes, among many others, stories by James and Fitzgerald.  And, yes, I made these Amazon and B&N expenditures before the hard money talk!  Now all I need is a like-minded reading group, a veil, bombs raining in the streets, and coffee over ice cream, and I’ll be set.
It has been really fun dialoguing with classmates.  Though we would probably not recognize each other if we passed by in Barnes and Noble or at the Liquid Bean or Butlers, even without being face-to-face, we have in many respects been more transparent.  In a classroom, sometimes the age and cultural differences can create barriers.  In the on-line setting, rather than create inhibitions, I think it actually lowers them; and besides that, you don’t need to mess with the AVC parking lot.  (Is the construction done yet?)  I have enjoyed reading your blogs and responses to the discussion questions.  And it has been fun to see the progress made especially by the people in my group.
I wish you all success and happiness.  Keep up the good work!  And just a tip:  Take all your writings from class, spiral bind them, and some day when you are famous, they will be a rich legacy for your children.  Mustn’t let them go to waste!

4 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling. I had no idea what to really do with myself, well maybe for about 10 seconds then I remember oh finals are next week maybe I should study for anatomy. I am sorry to hear about the hard money situations in your life. I have been there and we all make it through somehow. We just find your own way to escape from reality for a little while, like the young women in RLiT. 
    I definitely had your problems with online classes in the spring. I was not looking for an English class as this is my LAST English class I ever have to take, yay. I could barely find any classes online for next semester and I enjoy online classes more because you never feel judged you never know the true age of the person on the other side of the screen and the best part they will never really have a face to put with your writing. I enjoyed that the most because I am not a confident writer and this class helped me feel more comfortable with letting people read my essays and not feel judged.
    By the way, the construction is not finished. It seems the workers move slow on purpose so the job lasts longer.
    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that we're almost done, but I really am going to miss all the people in this class. Keep writing in your blog though! I still plan on following the people from class. Maybe it'll ease the pain of not being able to go to school.

    I'm also sorry to hear about your money problems. I hope that you can get through it, and until then, hang on.

    I'm not looking forward to having to fight with the construction next semester, either. I've been lucky so far, but I have a feeling that I won't be so lucky next semester. Oh well. I agree with Under Construction, though. They construction workers are doing this to us on purpose. C'mon guys, all I want to do is park so I can be on time for class without getting up and extra hour early.

    I like your idea of saving your work, just in case you do happen to get famous! I save mine anyways, because my little bro takes a lot of the classes that I do a semester or two after me, so he likes having my work to help him out. I say it's cheating, but... Anyways, merry Christmas, happy New Year, and good luck! I hope to meet you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly, it has truly been a delight to read your blogs this semester. You are so witty and always have a way of looking on the bright side of things! I have a feeling if you continued writing on this page that there would be those that would continue to read it just to see what you have to say next! You really have a talent and outlook that you should continue to share in some forum.

    I’m sorry that things won’t work out for you to continue your classes in the spring but I know you will be back when you can. This recession won’t last forever, right? Anyway, I envy you in some ways having some free time to look forward to. I have a very heavy class load again in the spring on top of working way too many overtime hours. I just don’t want to be 90 by the time I’m done with school! I told my husband the other day that if I have some free time during the holiday break that I would also like to read some of the books they studied in RLiT. Nothing like curling up with a good book by the fireplace!

    Take care and Godspeed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words. I saw a lady in the news on the web get her diploma. She was 90 something! Agh! I am proud of her, but I'd kind of like to get mine under the belt before then. I wish you well, too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete