Saturday, May 24, 2014

Why am I crying?

020 - Copy
Well, I guess it should be a happy ending, but why am I crying?
I took Bano outside in a birdcage we have to see if his mom would hear him and find him. He was hungry and cheeping. I thought the cage bars would hold him, though he is small. But . . .
We sat there for a while by the feeder, and he was very excited, hearing hummer sounds. But none of the several hummingbirds there even expressed curiosity about him until . . . she came in my face, closer than close.
She came several times, opening her mouth and talking to Bano. She even clung to the sides of the cage, then flew around trying to get at him. She came back several times, and I didn’t know what to do.  There was no doubt this was mom.
I thought I would put him on his sock bed cupped in my hand and see if she would come to him out of the cage.  When I tried to catch him in the cage, he got very excited, flitting around, and he squeezed through the bars! 
He flew up where I could not reach him, clinging to the stucco wall, cheeping. I watched him, letting him know I was still here. Then he flew to a nearby tree and clung to a crook, swaying in the wind. No breezes here. I watched and prayed. He cheeped.
Finally, he flew again into the neighbor’s, out of sight, but I could still hear him cheeping. I felt sad, and there was nothing I could do.
Then mama zipped by, and over the fence. I heard her chattering to him, and the cheeping stopped for a long while.
I just finished cleaning up the mess, and I am happy-sad. I think–I hope–he will be okay, especially since I believe his mom found him. But this has been an awesome experience, and though he needs to be free, I will miss those tiny feet on my hand.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment