Monday, March 5, 2012

Communication is a Contact Sport

 



You think you know me.
You know my name; you know my face, so you think you understand me,
and you say, “I hear what you’re saying.”

I say I’m cold;
you think I need a sweatshirt, but I feel indifferent.

I say run;
you think Dodgers, I think danger.

I say book;
you think Nook, while I think Cloud.

I say paper;
you think Times, and I think pages to fill.

I say fence;
you think walling in, I think walling out.

I say dog;
you think ugly girl, I think canine.

I say travel;
you think desert, I think Paris.

I say love;
you think sex, and I think Snickers.

I say "like";
you think sex, while I think WordPress.

I say rich;
you think ten-year plan, I think fattening.

I say, “Do you hear what I’m saying,”
and you say, “Yeah, I hear you.”
Good.
I’m glad we understand each other.


11 comments:

  1. Excellent post illustrating how easy it is to think we understand someone else. If two people who LOVE each other don't hear the same meanings in words, how much harder it is for strangers to understand. No wonder our world is in such a mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting, though, when you think you've really had a break through in communication with whomever, only to discover you were not even close.

      Delete
  2. :) Cute...but I think M&Ms not Snickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee and I don't recall giving you permission to record and then post our conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We each imagine we know what the other means...=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, thought-provoking, and soooo true!

    ReplyDelete