Monday, May 7, 2012


Thought for the Day: Well, a few of them!

With the Internet, the social networks, and the blogosphere, we have amazing opportunities for connection and re-connection. With all that potential for contact comes greater potential for disappointment because our expectation has risen exponentially. So when that friend or family member who previously would have only sent a Christmas card once a year ignores our brilliant and intuitive post on Facebook, we somehow feel ignored and even rejected.

What is the solution?

Have you seen FB posts that say they’re running a test to see who actually follows their posts, and they pose some kind of crazy question, like “When was the first time you saw me brush my teeth?” And the folks whose loyalty is really in question ignore the post, primarily because they are busy finding a cure for cancer, reading a Harry Potter book, or in some way saving the world. Then an irreparable rift happens or at least a good sulk. Well, I think the solution lies in lowering our expectations and in only talking to perfect strangers, sexual predators excluded.

So here it is: I if you have never met me, have never seen me brush or floss my teeth, and couldn’t care less what the name of my first pet was, re-post this to every social network you are involved in, and some you are not, as well as attach a message by carrier pigeon and carve the words in a tree. Then when I have a revelatory moment and reflect on how pitiful it is to have so few friends and so little influence, because no one will actually do that, I will sit down and have a good cry, brew some coffee laced with trans fats, and write another blog to pollute the ionosphere because in the larger scheme of things I really don’t care. :-) Well, a little.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. It can be disheartening when a post we like is apparently ignored. Have you noticed how many people visit your blog but don't leave a comment? I often wonder why that is. But hey, I don't always leave comments either. I think many of us are trying to do too much with too little time.

    No, I have never seen you brush your teeth. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. I wish blogspot had a "LIKE" function like Wordpress because many times I like something but don't necessarily want to comment. It would still be a way of getting feedback. I have had blogspot for about 2 years I guess, and the traffic is minimal, though there are folks I really like to follow and connect with. I started my Wordpress blog in October of last year and have almost 400 followers with a lot of traffic and commentary. It is a much more user-friendly platform I think, but I haven't wanted to drop this one for the few I enjoy here. Conundrum. Have you ever tried WP?

      Delete
    2. Also, this one has a widget to have my song available for play. Mmm.

      Delete