Monday, January 9, 2012

Meatloaf--Not the Archie Bunker Kind

I cooked meatloaf this week.  Ta-da!  To show you how rare this is (infrequent, not the doneness of the meat):  My son did not really recognize it and didn't ever remember me serving it before.  He's 22.

Okay, it's been awhile for this vegetarian-wanna-be, kind-of, some-of-the-time person.  But I was listening to Melinda Lee's food show on KNX in LA on the way to pick up my organic vegies (Read:  redeeming myself), and she was talking about meatloaf.  I had this sudden urge for comfort food.  So for supper I pulled out some turkey sausage and organic ground beef (Organic is supposed to make them feel better about their demise.) and whipped up some.  It was a delicious, hearty meal, served alongside 3 different kinds of squash.  Very winterish.  Very nostalgic.  No side dish of guilt.

Of course, my son needed verification that there were indeed no soy granules in it, and I assured him it was indeed the real thing!  And hormone free!

Funny how certain foods conjure up warm and fuzzy feelings.  Feelings of childhood--feelings of home . . .

Except that I don't remember my Mom's meatloaf either.  She was a good cook, and I know she cooked all manner of meats--a good farmer's wife.  But I don't remember meatloaf.  One delicacy that does come to mind, though, is fried balogna.  And I never have any urges for that!

4 comments:

  1. I love somebody's elses meatloaf but not my own! My mom never prepared it either but I also remember fried bologna! Seems like she served it with fried eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty, but how did we ever survive with all that fat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just had to look up meatloaf! and bologna . . . I think meatloaf sounds rather tasty - not sure about bologna, though;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can't identify the ingredients, it's best not to eat it. Like chicken nuggets! MOre spare parts and ammonia. To be honest the balogna of the 50s was more apt to have real food in it than today.

    ReplyDelete