Sunday, April 29, 2012


Mail Domination!!!

I wonder if they make femail boxes in this rural setting?  :-)
This scene is very nostalgic for me, except for the locks on some.  Growing up you would never see that!  However, many a mailbox ended up stuffed with manure or firecrackers on Hallowe’en.  Delinquents!  . . . Not me.  . . .  What are you looking at?  I only used hay!
We collected our mail at the general store a mile from home.  I felt disenfranchised not having a shiny mailbox at the lane.  Finally, we got one!  Said “Cr____ and Son” on the top.  Nice try, Dad.  Your only son would run off and become a space-age scientist engineer person.  It must have been a sign that a month after the mailbox was up, somebody threw it in the river.  At least, that’s what we suspect.  A Hallowe’en trick.  Sometimes, pranksters would just exchange mailboxes so you found it a few farms over.  We never found ours, and the river was so handy.
Now if it had said “Cr____ and 6 wonderful daughters and one son,” no one would have dared such a sacrilege.  Oh, well.  Back to the general store.

2 comments:

  1. I love those mail boxes all in a row! Our mailbox was vandalized twice in a period of six weeks this winter. I am not much of a handiwoman with a hammer and other hand tools and my mom is almost 91 so we were pretty proud of ourselves for being able to install two mail boxes in such a short period of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not the same world for sure, and with identity theft, you need padlocks!

      Delete