Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Weak in Review: Gimp Shopping


Well, I actually went to a store today–Target. I only had to pick up a few things, but some were at the farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr end of the store, so I rode on one of those little, red electric carts. (They have to be red; it’s Target.)

It was an interesting experience.

It’s good they don’t go very fast because I could be a danger to myself as well as others, but the Stop function is, shall we say, effective. If you don’t watch it, you can get whiplash, which is no small feat given you are only driving at .00002 miles per hour (That may be a generous estimate.) I could probably get this down to a smooth cruise if I practiced more, but I kinda (slang alert!) think I’m not going to be using it that much. (Let it be!)

Another weird thing is that people look at you funny. Well, I guess that is not totally accurate. Other customers don’t look at you at all. They will not look you in the eye, and unless you are rounding a corner a bit too fast (hypothetically speaking), and they have to hug the canned goods to keep from being run over, they act as if you are invisible.

Do they feel sorry for someone who needs this tool to do such a mundane thing as shop, but are uncomfortable with your need? Do they judge you, thinking that you probably don’t need it and are just lazy (I made sure to limp really noticeably when I got up so they could tell I was hurting. Not that hard to do.)? Or do they just not care enough. Period.

Next time I’m shopping on two good legs and I see a person in one of these snazzy go-carts, I’m going to look him in the eye, smile, tell her I’m not judging, and ask it if I can possibly help to reach an item (Notice my PC gender sensitivity!). S/he will probably call security, but I will feel better about myself.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I'm glad you didn't fall off when it suddenly came to a stop. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your foot is mending well. I try not to look at them as if its as natural as pie to be driving through the store. Who knows when we all may have the need of one. Folks in our town aren't out of their way friendly in stores though. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you think twice about how apathetic we sometimes are. Don't want to be too aloof to walk by someone who needs.

      Delete
  3. LOL!! You're right, though - people on two legs don't know how to react to those on none.

    ReplyDelete