Friday, April 20, 2012

This is what other people go through . . .



This is what other people go through. These are other families’ struggles. You put them on a prayer list, and you fervently pray

. . . at least a few times. Well, maybe once. It’s an obligatory function of faithwalking. But urgency fades with the pressing in of life; alarm is absorbed in the myriad needs that crowd our days.

We don’t mean to be apathetic.

And after all . . . these are people outside our circle. These are other people’s parents, other people’s children, other people’s friends.

They are not as gifted as our own, not as thoroughly instructed, not as thoroughly graced.

This doesn’t happen to people who do things right—who make the sacrifices, who make the tough choices, who sow good seed.                  Does it?

What can relationship be without this reaching out in desperation—this frantic desire for a reversal of hell-breathed decisions?

How will we talk about meaningless things in a meaningful way, and all the while the heart hears scratching nails as on a chalkboard, blood pulsing in the ears?

Do we just give up . . . give in? Surrender?

Does surrender look like truce, abandonment, painful silences—with rock hard parameters placed around the talk that really matters? Or can surrender and warfare comingle?

Indwelling Spirit, left as our guide, our comfort, our power, I’m feeling hopeless here. I need Your presence, Your intrusion, pushing aside my tears and fear. I need You to sigh through me, pray through me, love through me. I need Your gleam of strong hope, because I am unable to conjure up any on my own.

It is easier when it is another’s loss.

7 comments:

  1. Surrender to God, is victory...peace...rest from the torment of worry, even for isolated moments. Isaiah 26:3 &4....God would not 'worry' us, though the trials we must bear sure would. Psalm 73:23

    Here is a little poem from the book 'Rose from Brier' I thought you might like. I love this little book by Amy Carmichael...who was a missionary in India. God has used her books to touch my heart with comfort at different times and in different trials.

    'The world is still. Sunset and moonlight, meeting,...Lay long soft shadows on the dusty raod;..The sheep are folded, not a lamb is bleating;....Fold me, O God.

    The feverish hours have cooled, and ceased the wrestling...For place and power, fallen the last loud word;....Only a mother calls her wayward nestling,....Come little bird'.

    Never a stir, but 'tis Thy hand that settles....Tired flowers' affairs, and piles a starry heap...Of night-lights on the jasmine. Touch my petals;...Put me to sleep.' Amy Carmichael

    'Jesus Himself, drew near and went with them.'

    I hope you liked her poem...and perhaps you could find her book of 197 sweet pages. It is special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is beautiful. Thank you. I read her biography many years ago. It may be time to do it again. She was an amazing woman who faced many trials.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you have read her bio. She's special...but pretty deep at times....... I just checked the 'draw something' app game. Do you play that? My son drew a pyramid (which I was to guess what he had drawn)...and I knew thats what it was and was thrown off by his drawing of a door! The word was pyramid after all. Now for a little 'Father Knows Best' . ~~~ Your poem touched my heart, you have a great gift. A special gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement.

      The app thing is a crack up. How quickly techy stuff changes. I have a friend who is intimidated by someone at work. Over breakfast, I was telling her what she should say. We decided I should develop an app for that. Pithy, sarcastic comments for the flabbergasted. May sell. :)

      Delete
  3. I hear you and identify w/what you're saying....you've put into words what I have lived and live w/ two sons. The elder of the two completely shut the door to me...a pain that I don't wish upon anyone; for it is different than any other!

    But the GREATEST TRUTH that stands and abides is that my PRECIOUS HEAVENLY FATHER AND LORD, is GOD, and it is HE that I cast my burdens and brokenness and entrust my son and his wrongful choices/sin into The MIGHTY HANDS OF GOD, WHO IS ABLE to do far more abundantly ABOVE ALL that we think or ask....only BELIEVE!

    It is our own flesh/mind and the intrusion of Satan that draws our attention to dwell upon the 'darkness' and the 'hopelessness' of the situation. But as I was reading in Revelations today...(the letters to the seven churches), the main instruction that was written was that of 'REPENTANCE'. As believing mothers in JESUS AND GOD'S. HOLY WORD, we must with a grateful heart come with joyful hope to our MIGHTY GOD and lay our sons before HIS THRONE; and with our deepest plea, press into GOD and be fervent...no matter how long day.

    The 'Battle Belongs to the LORD', and it is the faith of HIS children that HE responds as we see over and over again in The WORD!

    And your last prayer is the greatest source of 'surrender'....when we are empty of 'self' and we realize that we NEED ALL THAT HE IS!

    Lilly, GOD IS ABLE....lift your heart and worship in love and praise unto THEE MOST HIGH, AND REJOICE IN HIM!

    No GREATER HOPE can there be than the LOVE AND POWER of THEE MOST HIGH! JESUS CHRIST!

    You are most precious to HIM, and so is your dear son!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your testimony and encouragement. God is able and the story is not finished yet. The tension in the in-between chapters, though, makes you trust the author, that He is still in charge. Blessings!

      Delete