Thursday, June 7, 2012


Pelicans, Fishing for Compliments



I have never thought pelicans to be that beautiful a bird–maybe it’s something about that saggy, baggy jaw of theirs.
I’ve never been one to sing their praises when there was a song sparrow to be had, or a finch, or a jay, or an anything–really.
Sorry.
But here you are in an aerial ballet, a silhouetted arabesque against a blue, blue, above a blue, blue, and me below clicking away, mesmerized.
Dip, turn, skim.
Soar, plunge, gulp–okay, not so beautiful that last part.
But I have become a fan, won over by your faithful grace, and your elegant flight.












2 comments:

  1. Wow, terrific captures. I think you made me a fan too! I especially love the 2nd shot and when you look at the 3rd one by itself, without the context of the others, it seems impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun surprise to capture their acrobatics.

      Delete