Friday, December 2, 2011

Feeling Hawkish?


I had planned another blog for today, but I had a vistor call, and I thought I'd share him / her with you. 

I have been trying to catch pictures of the birds at my feeder, but they don't like me standing around where they can see me.  So like a very UN-Martha Stewart kind of gal, I cleaned only the inside and outside center part of the window by my desk that would still allow me to take pictures from inside should the birds present me with a photo op.  :-)

I was getting my camera ready since sparrows were coming, then Whoosh!  They all flew off, and there he was, perched on my fence.  I snapped and snapped and snapped, hoping I'd get at least a couple of good ones before he flew off.  He looked right and left, then straight in my eyes!  Spooky, in a magestic kind of way.

All of a sudden, he flew off, and here's the guilt part:  I think he had one of my sparrows in his talons!  So I am a co-conspirator.  I lured the innocents to the predator's maw with a few cheap seeds from Target!  . . . Okay, he is still a very magestic bird.  It's just the food-chain in action!  Someone said he is a Coopers Hawk, but he looks more like a Sharp-shined Hawk in my field book.  A beauty!

And I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I'd washed the whole window! 




THE PREY!

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting day! Your coopers hawk certainly looks like a fierce predator! You got some great shots of him, and how often does tthat happen. Your Martha Stewart comment was funny. I wonder how many servants she really has washing her many windows...in her many homes....lol. It's ok though....I,m thankful for our dear nest. Besides, if you had taken the time to wash the whole window...away the birds would probably flown. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on a farm and saw hawks, but never this close! A neighbor had mentioned he had one in his yard, but the whole time we've lived here in the tract, I'd never seen one. In the open desert, yes--from afar. The light was great and my camera was ready to capture the sparrows,so I was so excited to get him. He came last night too, but it was too shaded and he didn't stick around long enough to case the joint! I hate sacrificing the sparrows to him, but he sure is magestic to watch!

    ReplyDelete