Sunday, July 1, 2012


Saving the World Piece by Piece


It’s been a rather productive day today.

I have gotten rid of killer asteroids, tornadoes, hurricanes, robberies, floods, funerals, and hanging chads. I dispensed with the Taliban, Y2K, LA gangs, the Iraq War, paparazzi, terrorists, airport screenings, funerals, and Supreme Court rulings. As a bonus I dumped graffiti, AIDS, North Korea, tsunamis, San Fernando Valley secession, West Nile Virus, and Governor Terminator (Maria will be so happy). Now since I am exhausted, I think I will get a cup of organic, free-trade coffee and just pray for world peace.

For years, I clipped out news articles. I’m not sure if it helped me to deal with the trauma of life–perhaps having them contained and labeled made me feel more in control. Perhaps I thought my books would be discovered in a hundred years in my attic and bring my children a fortune on E-bay. Maybe they were to be resources for writing. Whatever my motivation, in tackling my summer project of the reorganization of my office, I decided it was time for the collection to go–all these horrors and atrocities of nature and man. I started to realize that it was almost all bad news. If I need a bad news fix, I can turn on the radio or check the Internet!

I only saved four items. I kept the summary article of Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau’s life and career. I kept it because he came to office when I was a teen; and though he was a Liberal, he wore sandals, spoke French, and was very hip, and so was the first politician I fell in love with. Actually, he’s the only politician I have ever fallen in love with!

I also kept the article about my next door neighbor’s daughter who was working as a bank teller and was shot by a drug-crazed robber. She survived and we all thanked God for His mercy.
I kept the letters to the editor that my English class got published in mass because some of them may be famous some day and remember me. Long shot!

And lastly, I kept the article on Pastor Billy Adams who showed me that a pastor can be strong, loving, consistent, and full of faith even in the many storms of life, in and out of the church. He gave his last sermon at the age of 90, having served 72 years in ministry. That was worth more than all of the fires, elections, divorces, global warming threats, and health epidemics put together!

Now on to world peace . . .

2 comments:

  1. And a very good method it is for dealing with all the news of the world. Especially the file 13. But it all seems so important when reading the newspaper...I know. And it is. God is our refuge.....for sure. (confession-I cut things out and save them at times too) My favorite thing I ever cut out was a picture of the WWII lady marching down the street in a parade...hale and hearty at 80 something. That! I can admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get a paper anymore. We had been customers for over 20 years here, but they raised their prices extremely high. Sunday, we decided to get a Sunday paper for a change. Other than the comics :-) I don't miss it. So much is bad news and people riled up about one thing or another. I can get riled for free on the Internet. I think it undermines our peace whwn we fill our hearts with so much distress.

      Delete