Wednesday, August 1, 2012


Mind-mauled at the Mall

I used to do mall-walking exercise a long time ago, but I gave it up for chocolate. Since I’m on my renewed exercise kick, in addition to resistance training at Curves, I decided this morning to go do a couple of miles at the mall. It has been a long time since I’ve been there to shop, I guess, because I didn’t even recognize some of the stores. I obviously haven’t been doing my part to help stimulate the economy.

My trip was a bit disconcerting because it seems more of the window displays are sexually exploitive. Even kids’ stores have displays guaranteed to show you how to dress your sweet, little, innocent girl like a hooker. The food court and candy kiosks have just the same non-nutritious fare, but what surprised me was my own attitude toward shopping.

Sure there are things I might want–like to be SHEIKH in 8″ spiked heels. That splurge might possess me if I ever feel suicidal. But for the most part what SEARS my brain is the seductive nature of advertising, all intent on getting you to part with your hard-earned PENNEYS. Clothes pasted on elongated Barbie-doll models try to convince you that the chartreuse pencil skirt would be just the thing to make you feel sexy and hip.

 And though you can’t afford it, all those fair-trade, conscience-friendly BATH AND BODY works to make you desirable and save the world all in one fell swoop. Trinkets of every sort scream 99 CENTS! Almost free! Don’t despair that the STARBUCKS cup earrings you put in your ear have been made in China and will be guaranteed to possess lead or some other cancer-producing chemical.

Thankfully, I only did two laps. (Sometimes sciatica is a blessing.) I realized there are very few things there that I need . . . or want! And the whole trek inspired me to not only PAYLESS, but also take another lap around my closets and shed more of my excess stuff! Simplicity sounds better and better. And after that, if I really want to up my exercise miles, I can hop on my treadmill and stare at an empty wall, which after the product overstimulation of today sounds like a vacation.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you....I never go to malls anymore. I feel just like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of that junk is not in my budget anyway! :-) And I actually have one now.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been in a mall for ages and it sounds like I haven't missed anything great. Im glad you're getting good exercise though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you haven't missed a thing, unless you really need the kids' play area. :-) I won't be back for a while.

      Delete