Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just thinking: Eve's Apple

Some say that the forbidden fruit in the garden was not an apple, but rather a pomegranate.  I'm thinking not!

I just bought 20 pounds of blemished ones from my organic farmer to juice.  They are very nutritious.  Problem:  They are very messy!  And a ton of work.

The white part inside is bitter, so the juice covered seeds need to be pulled away in order to feed them through the juicer and get the rich juice off the not-so delectable seed.  In this process, I stain my fingers, I splatter my counter, and I deck even my walls with flecks of red!  At least I'm wearing an apron now, but I probably could benefit from a Hazmat suit!

So the thought occurred to me:  There is no way if Eve was considering defying God's mandate would she take the time to get the "goodness" out of a lowly pomegranate.  Not unless pre-fall ones came with a tap! 

Apples:  They are right there ready for the munching.  Promegranates:  Not so much.

When I sin, it is typically a spontaneous, not carefully considered response to desire.  At this stage in my life journey, wisdom more often prevails if I give myself time to think and pray and register that niggling feeling deep in my conscience.  Obedience is still required, but I think if I had as long to chew on the decision as the time it takes to disassemble a pomegranate, I would be a much holier person!

No comments:

Post a Comment