Monday, November 14, 2011

Framing my world . . .

'76
I realized recently that since earliest childhood, I have seen my world in picture frames. 
With or without a camera in my hand, my eye searches out pattern, color, foreground, background, and other artistic qualities that make the shot. 
Sometimes, I actually could take the shot.  In elementary school, there was a class picture only because I was behind the camera.  I documented the farm and the river that ran alongside as many times as Mom would allow me to use the camera.  In her day, pictures were only taken on special occasions because the film and developing were too expensive to fritter away.  But I took shots of the kids in their grubbies, of Dad laughing or snoring or dropping his false teeth to tease us.  I took pictures of Mom gardening with curlers in her hair and of Dad fresh in from milking or working in the fields—earthy and tired in his farmer tan.  I didn’t wait for the plastic smiles; I pounced for the impromptu shot.
With the advent of digital, many would-have-been photographers have been unleashed to capture their worlds.  It is so affordable and brings much pleasure and satisfaction to those like me who are constantly framing their world.  And how fun to be able to shoot 400 pictures for that perfect one!
These are a few of my favorite old pictures from film that I have scanned.  Each has a story.
The top photo was taken from the end of the lane in a snowstorm (Note the silo.).  I had come home with a husband after two years of marriage.  :-)  Another story!
This picture below was taken of the farm from top of a 65' silo.  I was home from college, and it was a new addition to the farm.  My two kid sisters had apparently climbed to the top, so I figured how hard could it be?  Armed with my little 110 camera, I climbed the outside of the silo.  The rungs were 2 1/2 to 3' apart, and my legs felt felt like rubber by the time I reached the top.  There, I leaned out, holding the top bar with one hand, and snapped this picture.  Pride had kept me climbing; after all, the kids had climbed it!  It was after I was safely on the ground I heard about the inside ladder with protection at your back.  Macho Lill had climbed the workman's ladder (with even one rung missing!) 


This photo below was taken in the 60s.  I was safely on the ground!

More to follow.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post too. You are so right. Film was very expensive and the development of it more so. My Dad was an amateur photographer and very tech minded. He eventually shot black & white weddings. My poor Mum used to have to listen ad/nausea about cameras' and settings and things. And work in the darkroom printing those photos. She kept her little nose in a fiction book as often as she could...ha ha.

    Back from my rabbit track there, I too love the digital world. I'm with you all the way...lets shoot those 400 shots to get the one that makes time stop for a moment and lets us recapture the day, the moment. Your photos are fabulous and I have enjoyed them....ANd your poetry. I'm glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having fun on my bike rides (now that it is not blazing hot)going around capturing color in the desert. It is amzing the lift of spirit that happens with such a simple thing.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete