Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ripples . . .

10-'11

I threw a stone into a pond,
And where it sank, neat circles formed and moved and moved
And splashed the shore where my toes met the silver-blue rings
With squishy, muddy hellos. 
The rings beyond continued on, much farther than I could see—
Past the half-submerged log,
Past the mama and daddy loons
With their babies piggy-backed three.
Waves skinnied by a bobbing boat, fishline cutting the wake;
They moved and moved past docks and weeds and minnows feeding,
Through channels ever deepening and wide,
And on and on, the concentric current pushed to touch
A stream, a lake, a canal, an ocean,
And a foreign coral shore,
And brushed bare toes with gentle, silver-blue hellos.

Who can know what one little stone can do.

                                                By Lilly  5-14-07
Jackson Lake 10-'11

2 comments:

  1. I Loved this....and that line..'and brushed bare toes with gentle silver-blue hellos' just swept over my me as if I were really there with the girl in the beautiful, beautiful picture.

    Would you mind if I copied off your poem for my scrapbook? Wishing you a cozy day. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!

    It was a fun picture taking day--such a pretty spot up in the mountains. This little girls was a perfect foreground, waving sticks and playing in the water. I love little kids in the foreground of nature shots, but you have to be careful when shooting not to look like a weirdo. :-) She really added character to the picture.

    ReplyDelete