Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanks a Lot!


I have some friends who have been posting on FB what they are thankful for, everyday for 30 days.  It’s not that I’m not that thankful—just not that organized.
So here’s my list:
1.      I am thankful that the man I am married to now is a much better man than the one I married.  Not that they are different, but my husband, I must say, has grown into a man of strong character.  But just so he doesn’t get a big head:  He still will not listen to my profound commentary on life as I lay in bed.  That’s when I get some of my best ideas; him, that’s when he assumes he should be able to sleep.  Our prenuptial didn’t cover that!

2.      I am thankful for my four wonderful sons and their three wives—not that they are sharing; but number four is still unclaimed, all 6’5” 200 brilliantly musical pounds of him. Whoever snags him will get a guitar-playing, drummer, bass player type person who is as luminous as Bach, though a touch louder.  They will also inherit his Musician’s Institute debt. 

3.      I am thankful for my Mom and Dad and family—including in-laws and outlaws.  The memories I have of growing up on a farm in Canada are sweet, except for the times I was blamed for all the things I possibly didn’t do.  Just because I inherited a guilt gene and others inherited the I-am-so-innocent gene, doesn’t mean you should automatically assume I did it.  It needs to be proven in a court of law (which would be hard since I destroyed the evidence.)  

By the way, the first one of my siblings to read and respond to this post gets to inherit all my music royalties!  Since none of them follow my blogs, that’s probably not a risk.  And if any of you guys do happen to read this, I was lying about the royalties part.

Speaking of royalties:  One of these days, I’ll have to write a blog about the letter I got from BMI seeking confirmation that I was dead. 

4.      I am thankful for my organic farmer people who collectively (not the Communist collectively) contribute to my box of produce each week, enabling me to juice to my heart’s content (not to be construed as the steroid kind). 

5.      I am thankful for words and music and whole wheat bread; I’m thankful for coffee and chocolate and pumpkin pie (which I’m having for supper—warming up to Thanksgiving!).  And raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens . . . and clouds and trees and digital photography.  And grammar and students I can oppress with it.  I’m thankful for computers and Word docs that heal my lousy typing.  I am thankful for books and Amazon.com and weather and Motrin!  Mmm, this could be a long list.

6.      I’m thankful for water and memory foam toppers and stationery.  What would I do without bicycles and fall leaves and friends and clothes and guardian angels?  I’m thankful for movies and calendars and stuffed animals and hummus.  What a wonderful world!  Sounds like a song.

7.      Oh, and I’m thankful for truth, the Gospel, and a mind to apprehend the goodness of God that saves.  That’s a lot.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Save the turkeys; just eat the pumpkin pie!



4 comments:

  1. I love your header, and the photo of the pumpkins, but that birch tree at the end of the next post is simply to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed reading post! And that picture of you is great! Liked the one of the pumpkins too. I never saw any those colors before. I'm thankful for so many things also. Of course for salvation and a loving God & Saviour, and the Holy Spirit who constantly helps me along.

    And eyesight! Yes, and pumpkin pie too. Did you know the little pie pumpkins that are sweet (so they say) can be cut in half and baked on a cookie sheet just like butternut squash? I am pleasantly surprised to have learned this, as we had several volunteer vines over take our lower yard and present us with....at least 30 pumpkins. What a proud mama those vines would have been had they known...ha ha. We have been eating healthy & lots of pumpkins and baked squash. The telling of this makes me feel like Pocohantas! I am a smidgeon Cherokee you know. But then who isn't? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I love fall most of all I think with all the color and texture, and it changes daily! That top picture I took a few weeks ago when my husband and I went on a jaunt to a mountain lake near us. It was a perfect day for reflecting and reflections! :-)

    Eyesight! Yes! And hearing! We really do take so much for granted. The pumpkins were at a market stand by the road on our way back from our anniversary trip to the beach. I loved all the variety in color and size and texture.

    I'll keep my eye out for the little pumpkins. I love the fall root and vine vegies. It makes you feel earthy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I know I'm not part Cherokee. I'm Irish Canadian, and probably some Norwegian because, as my Norwegian mother-in-law always reminds me, those Vikings went everywhere! :-)

    ReplyDelete